Course of Fire
Start Position: Hands relaxed at sides.
Condition: Pistol empty with ammo on belt.
Target: 10" circle 7 yards down range.
Rounds Fired: 2
Procedure: On buzzer, draw & load pistol, fire 1 round, reload pistol, fire 1 round.
Goal Time: 3 sec (Buzzer to last shot fired).
My objective with this drill is to get as many small and essential weapons manipulation movements in as possible to get the most use out of my ammo as I can. I also like using a steel target for this particular drill because if I miss, I know right away. However, I'm actively working on not being subject to the audible feedback of the steel ringing to know I've made my hits. So here are some tips to think about when going through your reps:
- Practice this whole drill in dry fire to warm up at the range before attempting with live ammo. (Ideally you will have done this in dry fire a few times per day the week before your range time so it is comfortable).
- Go slow enough to get perfect reps in so you get your hits and you are sure you aren't cheating yourself to get a better time.
- After you have a couple successful runs, push yourself to make sure you aren't holding anything back. Find your point of failure.
- Finish each drill all the way through even if you don't get your hits.
- If one particular rep is unsuccessful (reload fumble, trigger freeze, etc.) finish the rep all the way through to create good habits of correcting on the clock.
- Record your best time and take an average of all your times (of successful runs) so you have a new par time to practice with in you dry fire.
- Please don't cheat your sights! Make sure you are achieving a minimally acceptable sigh picture every time you pull the trigger.
Build Safe Range Habits
- Always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction.
- Do not point the gun at anything you are not ok destroying.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
- Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
- Know your target and what is beyond.
- Store guns and ammunition so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
- Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
- Define a designated shooting area with a defined firing line.
- Set up a designated admin surface.
- Clear your gun each time you pick it up.
- Keep live ammunition organized and in a safe admin area for reloading magazines.
- Keep actions open and pointed down range when guns are not in use.